Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A (Busy) Day in the Life

I was trying to think about a longer blog post regarding this presentation I heard today...then I realized I was pretty busy and didn't have a lot of time to write it...then I figured, lots of people (ok, maybe just my family) wonder what exactly I do all day. I think their guess is a lot of ultimate frisbee and guitar hero.

So, here's my day today, as I best recollect it...

6:55 am - Wake up to get ready for the 7:48 train down to Hyde Park. Eat two yogurts. Shower. Etc.

7:30 am - Walk down to the METRA station, which is fortunately connected to my apartment building

7:45 am - Board train, which proceeds to not move for 15 minutes before we are told to transfer to another train, this time, one that works

8:15 am - Trade stats homework advice with classmate on the ride down to Hyde Park while hoping I won't be too late that my Accounting professor will make fun of me (because he likes making fun of people for not obeying the rules or for not knowing the material).

8:35 am - Sneak into class through the back hallway, only marginally disturbing everyone. Fortunately, the other 10 students from my train are right behind me and deflect most of the shame.

8:35 am - 11:30 am - Financial Accounting class, spending three hours learning the intricacies of the income and cash flow statements...yay. We get a 15 minute break, which I used to dash to the computer lab and print out next week's accounting presentation and this week's case assignment.

11:45 am - 1:00 pm - Attend lunch session with Steven Levitt (the Freakonomics guy). I really good presentation, centered around his corporate consulting efforts and how companies are reluctant to perform experiments to see potential revenue/profit/cost improvements. Also talked about his work with prostitutes...good stuff.

1:00 pm - 1:20 pm - Run into cohort film chair, talk about our upcoming student film production and the work we'll need to do.

1:30 pm - 2:50 pm - Microecon class, focused on cost and production curves and discussion of our Nike sweat shop case.

3:15 pm - 4:30pm - Gym, shower, back to school

4:45pm - Computer lab, print out new updated resume for tomorrow's session with a career advisor. Run into a classmate, plan future accounting review

5:19 pm - METRA back downtown

5:30 pm - 6:30 pm - Eat dinner, talk on the phone, respond to emails, and watch about a half hour of Law and Order (which is ALWAYS on TNT HD)

6:30 pm - 10:00 pm - Read accounting chapters, do study problems, do accounting case, with frequent breaks to bash my head against the wall

10:00 pm - Blog, watch DVR'd South Park

11:00 pm (projected) - Pass out

No comments: