Sunday, August 5, 2007

And thus, the era of HDTV was born

I'm not sure I've ever been as nervous as when I was transporting my new 47" LCD television, without the box and protective padding, in the backseat of a rental car.

Every intersection represented potential disaster, every oncoming car an inbound missle.

The reason the TV was out of it's packaging is because the freaking huge box wouldn't fit in the car trunk or backseat, even with the cushion ripped out.

So the driving between the Costco (one of the only stores to actually sell this model) and my apartment building was tense indeed.

After getting it in the apartment, I then set out to build the TV stand so I could put the TV on something and turn it on.

The TV stand was just one of about a million things I assembled in the last 24 hours, including a bookshelf, three lamps, vacuum cleaner, etc.

The TV stand wasn't hard to put together, but the entire process involved me rationalizing putting a really expensive TV on top of a $150 dollar TV stand.

But I did, and then with the HDMI cable I ordered last week, hooked it up to my cable box.

Wow....amazing

As a point of reference, my last TV was a cheap Philips TV I bought around 2001. That TV never really worked right, the buttons sometimes switched functions, and the closed captioning kind of went off and on automatically, but didn't really have the words right.

So this was definitely an upgrade.

I can't really describe how awesome it is to watch HDTV and I don't even watch that many TV shows. Now I just need RCN, my cable company, to drop these Chicago sports teams and hook up a feed from Philadelphia. That and some furniture, but for now the TV is just fine.

No comments: