Monday, August 1, 2011

The Eagles are NOT the Miami Heat

Quick post today, because I read an article that made me roll my eyes.  Now granted, I'd say a good 80% of the things I read make me roll my eyes, but this one was especially roll worthy.

For those of you who don't follow football, the Eagles made what some might term a 'splash' in the free agency pool this year.  Free agency is where you go out and buy new players for your team, with the idea that they'll be an improvement over your current players, some of whom you'll get rid of.

The Eagles signed the best overall player on the free agent market, a cornerback named Nnamdi Asomugha (which I spelled right on the first try here, despite giving Blogger's spell check a seizure).  Asomugha is arguably the best defensive coverage player in the NFL, and was only available as a free agent because the Raiders screwed up something with his contract (I'm assuming the intern responsible was fired or had his organs harvested by Al Davis).

So the Eagles signed this guy, as well as a number of other players.  In commenting to the press, one of these players, new backup quarterback Vince Young, referred to the new collection of teammates as a 'Dream Team'.

And for a sports media that loves to traffic in misconstrued off-the-cuff remarks, a stupid waste of time was born.

Because as soon as Young made his comments, they became the fuel for the sports media echo chamber, and everyone suddenly had to provide a comment or opinion (irony quotient of me saying that - high).  Googling the term 'vince young dream team eagles', returned over 338,000 results.

And of course, others were asked to comment in response


Speaking to reporters at Cowboys camp, (Defensive Coordinator Rob) Ryan said that he was happy with the Cowboys’ relative lack of big-name free-agent signings because he thinks the players the Cowboys already have are good enough. And then he said he’s looking forward to playing a certain other team that has received more attention in free agency.

“These are proven players, and that’s what we need,” Ryan said. “I don’t know if we win the all-hype team, I think that might have gone to somebody else, but we’re going to beat their ass when we play them.”

Ugh. Really?

The new backup quarterback for the Eagles had one thing to say, and now all of a sudden they're a bunch of self-promoting showboaters akin to the Miami LeBrons?

Maybe people would say I'm overreacting to the comment, and that may be true.  But as an Eagles fan who's had to endure years and years of abuse from other Eagles fans because their owner once referred to the organization as the 'Gold Standard,' I can see where this might go.  That's despite the fact that the comment came from the backup quarterback, which is only one step removed from the third quarterback, which is only one step removed from me.

Of course, if the Eagles did manage to win the Super Bowl, I'd probably buy a Dream Team shirt

No comments: